Monday, September 28, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for September 28th

Hello Dear Readers,

You may or may not have noticed that I did not make a post yesterday. It really is a shame because there was a house show that was really great. I totally would have told you about them if I had known the details before I left the house. The One I went to was at the Purple Church. It featured Lee Corey Oswald, The Sarcastic Dharma Society, Y La Bamba, Sean Flinn, and Musee Mecanique. I know I know. Amazing line up. I knew it was happening, but I didnlt know the time or the line up or if I was playing. I got off of work and headed straight over. I had missed Lee Cory Oswald and The Sarcastic Dharma Society, which kinda bummed me out because I have been meaning to catch Lee Cory Oswald, and The Sarcastic Dharma Society is probably one of my favorite song writers. But I had no time to fret as I played back to back sets in Y La Bamba and Sean Flinn. Then I got to sit back and enjoy Musee Mecanique who are just bad ass. They are kinda like if Air and Simon & Garfunkle had a baby. Anwways, sorry for not telling you about it. There is not much going on in the next few days. Infact I only saw two shows. Please let me know if I am wrong by posting shows in the comments section.

Monday, September 28th

Valentine's is having a show with d.l. Sparks and Kelly Blair Bauman. I am writing about this show because I have heard good things about Kelly Bauman. I think specifically from a dude who used to work at W+K (DJ Bunnyears, or something). Anyway, it was his job to know good music and he thought highly enough about him to mention him to me while discussing good local music. I have not seen Kelly ever. I have not seen d.l. Sparks either (to my recollection). Both are on Arena Rock Recording Co., I count four shared top friends on their respective myspace pages. They also have some bands that I like in their top friends. I know you shouldn't judge a band by its cover (or top friends), but when I am here without speakers it is all I can do. d.l. Sparks doesn't even have any music on his myspace. What a mad man. The show is FREE and starts at 9 PM.

Tuesday,September 29th

Ella St. Social Club is having a show with Deacon and Ocean Age. This looks like an awesome show. I have never seen Deacon before, but I have listened to and liked their music via their myspace. It is kinda of a supergroup, but kinda not. All of the memebers are in other great goups: AAN, The Truly Me Club, and The Author (okay, actually I am not familiar with this one). Except unlike other super groups, all the songs are probably written by one dude. In this case, Mica Ryan (not to be confused with the Mica that is in The Truly Me Club or ANN). I have seen Ocean Age before and I really liked it. I have the ep they have available at shows and it is pretty good. They are very ambitious five piece with lots of instrument rotation. Last I talked to them they were foing to try to start looping so that more instruments could be played. I find that they have a very good mix of electronic and acoustic instruments. And umm...I like it. I guess what I should say is that with this much talent in one room, it is what I call "a sure thing". Meaning of course, that if seeing a great show is like getting laid then you will get laid at this show. I am trying to say that this will be a great show, but I just sound weird and creepy (?). The show is $2 and starts at 9 PM.

So if you see me please say, "Hi". I mean if you have the balls.

-Ben


What you do not see very well it Ocean Age. They are playing Tuesday Night at Ellas St.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I love that you call out the balls! Mine have been having a great time as of late. It's so nice to honestly not give a damn what people think. Whew. Life is so much more fun. I was part of a dance party with Deer Tick at the Edgefield and ended up in a pile of women. ROWDY!!!! I wish I had video of that show.....

Ben Meyercord said...

Nikki - a pile of women seems like a pretty cool dance party. I was watching Musee Mecanique. Afterwards there was a very tiny dance party. There was no pile of women or otherwise.