Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for March 4th and March 5th

Hello Dear Readers,

I feel like it has been ages since I have seen a show. It hasn't I caught an amazing set by Oh Captain My Captain last Friday, but shoot that was last Friday. I need to get it together. I relize that one of the main set backs from seeing shows is getting a ride home. While I love Tri-met with all my heart. They usually have stopped running busses by the time I am ready to leave shows. I may have to break down and fix my bike (it is getting warmer). Anyway, here are the shows I am interested in for the next few days.

Wednesday, March 4th

There are a lot of good shows to pick from tonight. I think I will make an effort to see one of them.

  • Holocene is having is having a show with Dragging an Ox Through Water, Experimental Dental School, The Slaves and Syrup. It should be noted that I think Dragging an Ox through Water is awesome. He takes elements of folk and elements to experimental sound music and smashes them together in what I consider a delicious sound sandwich. Experimental Dental School are awesome and make herky jerky music that is fun to listen two and perhaps even more fun to try and figure out what how they are making the sounds that thery are. The Guitarist has a guitar that has like a million cords coming out of it that goe to various amps and a pretty intense pedal board. The drummer sings and on occasion plays a keyboard. It is sweet. The Slaves make very soothing and pretty ambient-ish music. I did not like what I hear of Syrup. But I am not trying to hate. The show is $6 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Wail is having a show with MEGA*CHURCH, What's Up? and Neal Morgan. I have not seen MEGA*CHURCH though I have seen the videos and it looks like a blast (I believe they called their shows masses). They make kinda non-denominational electro-gospel songs. What's Up? is a pretty rad instrumental band who make cool instrumental music (not boring long and drawn out movie soundtrack music). Neal Morgan makes music with vocals and drums. He uses lots of layers of vocals on the recordings I have seen and it sounds really good. I don't know how he would do it live. Needless to say I am curious. This ALL AGES show has a $6 donation cover and starts at 7 PM.
  • Someday Lounge is having a show with Ryan Dolliver, Double Dragon, The Hugs, Gavin Castleton and Spinning Wheels. I have written abou tall these bands before. So let me just make some quick notes. Ryan Dolliver and Double Dragons are the same person (though I think a band is involved with the latter). Gavin Castleton has a concept album about zombies coming out that includes one of my new favorite songs, "Coffeelocks". Spinning Wheels sound real good. The show costs $6-9 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Press Club is having a show with Super XX Man. I have yet to visit this SE venue. It seems like they have had some shows that have caught my attention lately. Also I think it should be noted that Super XX Man is not only good, but tends to play a lot of FREE shows. That being said, this show is FREE and starts at 8 PM.

Thursday, March 5th

I will be darned if there are some more shows that I am interested in on Thursday as well.

  • Mississippi Studios is having a show with Blind Pilot and Sabertooth. Mississippi Studios seems to have lined up some pretty great acts all week for the grand opening of the improved venue. Or maybe it will always be some really good shows at this venue (I know that Alicia Rose, who used to book at Doug Fir is now over here). Anyway Blind Pilot rules it. I hear that they have started playing some new songs too. I think their last album was really good. Sabertooth is good too, but I cannot comment on their album (though I know it is out on Arena Rock, just like Talkdemonic) The show is $12 and starts at 7 PM.
  • Mississippi Studios is having a show with Blind Pilot and Cataldo (Seattle). This is the second show Blind Pilot is playing at on Thursday. This time the openers are from Seattle. They sound pretty good too. The show is $12 and starts at 10 PM.
  • Kelly's Olympian is having a show with Minmae, Pony Village and Soft Tags. I write about this show basically because I think that Pony Village is good. It is nice sounding indie rock. A thing that can easily and often does, go horribly wrong. But these guys do it well. I have been meaning to see them for quite some time. Also the Soft Tags are cool with their reverb drenched fuzzed out rock songs and yet poppy songs, I have been meaning to seem them for a while as well. The show is $4 and starts at 10 PM.
  • Doug Fir is having a show with Neil Halstead and Adam Shearer (of Weinland). You may know Neil from his other band Mojave 3 or the band before that Slowdive. It has been interesting to see Neil go from his shoegazer endeavors to his current indie-folk leanings. I think all the music he's done is really good. But whatevs. Also Adam Shearer is really good. The last time I saw him play solo, he had Doug Jenkins (of a href="http://www.myspace.com/celloproject"target=_blank>Portland Cello Project) play cello with him. It sounded great. The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Holocene is having a show with Reading Frenzy Benefit: Corin Tucker (of Sleater Kinney, Tu Fawning, The Golden Bears, Mirah and Explode into Colors. You know a lot of these names. If you don't you should. Click on some of the links I provide people. This is a benefit for Reading Frenzy which is a really cool store by the way. It is like the heart of the Portland Zine scene, which is very strong. Check it out too. The show is $8-20 and starts at 8:30 PM.
  • The Waypost is having a show with Psychedelajawea and St. Frankie Lee. I know nothing of the Psychelajawea, but maybe it is psychedelic? I do know that St. Frankie Lee is pretty bomb. I think that The Waypost would be a good space for them. The show is FREE and ALL AGES and starts at 8 PM.
  • The Artistery is having a show with Flint Jamison, Blankket, Life of a Craphead, White Fang. I write about this show because the few times I saw White Fang, I had a really good time. I am almost certain that anyone else who sees them will have a similar experience. This is a more than a music show, though. Click on some links for more details. The ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

So hopefully I make it to some of these shows. If I do and you see me, please run across the room to say, "Hi". It would delight me.

-Ben


James Low will play the Mississippi Studios reopening bash tonight. You can see more of the Razing Mississippi series at here

No comments: