Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for February 5th to 8th

Hello Dear Readers,

I was not able to see any shows this week. I mean I played the KBOO thing and that was cool. But I was unable to see any other bands which is to me one of the best parts of seeing a show. It actually was kinda crazy I was super rushed to get there and then I got there played and left. I didn't really get to get a feel for the experience. But whatevs. This is a blog about shows. Portland has plenty of those. Check it out.

Thursday, February 5th

Shows!

  • The Mission Theater is having a show with some of our neighboring states bands. Fruit Bats (LA but up until very recently Portland, which why I am listing it) and Sera Cahoone (Seattle) both are really really great. This is a special ALL AGES and EARLY show. It is $12 with the doors at 6 PM and the music starting at 7 PM.

  • East End is having a show with Seattle's H Is for Hellgate and one of Porltand's finest Instrumental rock bands AristeiA and A Cationary Tale. I speak of AristeiA objectively despite my being in the band. I have heard that H is for Hellgate is a pretty good female led Proggy NW indie rock band. The last time I saw a band fitting that description, Finn Riggins, I was pretty impressed. I will let you know if I have a similar exoerience this time around. A Cautionary Tale is a band that apparently cannot be tied to once sound and in fact change all the time. That could be really frustrating or really awesome. The show is maybe FREE (I can never find a cover listed for this place, but I have seen people take money for shows) and starts at 9 PM.

  • Holocene is having a show with Oh Captain, My Captain, Mimicking Birds, and Morning Teleportation. All of these bands are just really awesome. Oh Captain, My Captain sound to me what Pedro the Lion would sound like if he mated with classic rock. Mimicking Birds is Issack Brock's latest favorite band. He is taking them on tour opening up for Modest Mouse. I think they sound like a hybrid of Modest Mouse and Chad Van Gallen. Morning Teleportation doesn't work well with my matching two bands together, but I think they are really good. Okay did a little research, Issack is into both bands, that are not Oh Captain, My Captain (who I am very into). Does this mean a future with his little label Glacial Pace? Maybe. Anyway this is sweet show. It is $6 and starts at 9 PM.

  • Someday Lounge is having a electronic-y First Thursday show with Hexasion and Strategy. According to Someday's website this will be a "Multimedia extravaganza!...featuring a live audio/video performance featuring the Atari Video Music video synthesizer". Sounds pretty rad to me. The show is FREE at 6 PM.


Friday, February 6th

Friday Night is a night coveted by bands. People go to see shows on the weekend. Check out these lucky devils that were able to land Friday night gigs.


  • The Green House (every town has a house venue) is having a house show with Chrome Wings, and Experimental Dental School. I still have not seen Chrome Wings, but I have seen and loved seeing Experimental Dental School. I swear I think they will be big. They are goin on their European tour in April, so see them know while you can. At a house especially, because I think it would sound sweet in close quarters. This will most likely be a donation cover. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.

  • Sorority house (603 NE Halsey) is having a house show with Captain's Daughter, Tunnels, Smiles, Sissisters, and Yellow Crystal Star. Let me break this down for you. I think Tunnels make pretty intersting and cool rock. I think Yellow Crystal Star make beautiful droney soundscapes to lay on the floor to (I can't imagine standing up while listening to their stuff, it doesn't seem right). There is no listed cover, but I bet you they accept donations. The ALL AGES show starts at 8:30 PM.

  • Doug Fir is having a "Log Love Movers and Shakers" show with Climber, Blue Skies for Black Hearts, and The Rainy States. This is essentially a pop show. Climber does the big spacey pop thing, Blue Skies For Black Hearts does the retro pop (really well, they are why I am listing the show), The Rainy States play indie-pop. So if you want to throw down $8, you can hang out with some movers and shakers and get a pop groove on. The show starts at 9 PM.

Saturday, February 7th

There are some really really good shows all happening on Saturday. It kinda sucks, but I guess is also kinda cool too.

  • Kelly's Olympian is having a release party for Bombs Into You and their new EP "Metaphorically Yours" (which is available for FREE or donation at their website. Bryan Free and Westfold will also be playing. Bombs into You and Bryan Free often mix programmed drums into their music. So if you are a person, who hates this practice, don't say I didn't warn you. And as you may or may not know, Westfold is so bomb it isn't funny. The show is $5 and starts at 10 PM.

  • Backspace is having an awesome folky kinda/indie kinda show with some up and coming Spokane artists like Kaylee Cole, and Karli Fairbanks (after clicking on her myspace page I am reminded of how good she is, you should check it out too), along with some Portland artists like Adam Shearer (of Weinland) and White Hinterland. They are ay the kids used to say, "All Good". The show is what the kids currently say, "ALL AGES" and costs $7. The show starts at 9 PM.

  • Someday Lounge is having the Magic Marker Anniversary show with: Dear Nora (used to be Portland, now CaveCreek, AZ), Tullycraft (Seattle), BOAT and Galactic Heroes. This is where ever every indie-pop kid will be tonight. There are still indie-pop kids, right? The amazing line up will only cost you $10 to see. It starts at 9 PM.

  • Hawthorne Theater is having a show with Reclinerland and Firs of Prey. Reclinerland plays self-proclaimed "Postmodern or Art Pop". All I know is that I like the songs. I had not really heard of Firs of Prey, but my friend Anne told me I should check them out. She was right, I should have check them out and now that I have, you should too. It is good. You know the actual words and all. You should listen to his song "Secret Notebook". The show is ALL AGES and is a mere $3. The show starts at 9 PM.

  • Doug Fir is having an amazing line up of some of my favorite bands from Portland. That is specifically Talkdemonic, Ah Holly Fam'ly, and Nurses. If you know who these bands are, you are probably thinking about going already. If you don't know these bands, get on it! The show is $12 and starts at 9 PM.



Sunday, February 8th

Some good shows for you!

  • Rontom's is having one of its famous (in my mind) FREE Sunday shows. This one features Battle Hymns (Seattle) and maybe Reclinerland. The reason I say maybe is because it is not listed on his myspace. It don't matter though, cause this show is FREE. The music starts at 9:30 PM.

  • Mississippi Pizza Pub is having a show with Gavin Castleton, Kabir Green and Kelli Schaefer. Kelli Schaefer is just amazing with with her incredible voice and ability to write a good song. And I think I gushed about Gavin last week. His song Coffeelocks is probably the last song that grabbed me so instantly. This show will be by donation and starts at 9 PM.


So if you see me say, "Hi". If you don't see me, it is not advised to do so. As it is in poor taste to say "Hi" to anyone who is not me (not the views of CIMTB).

-Ben


Oh Captain, My Captain plays tonight at Holocene. Nice.

1 comment:

Ben Meyercord said...

Umm... I don't know if people read the comments on these, but I just found out there's a sick house show at 4627 N. Congress with Church and Why Must I Be Careful. If you have not seen Church this is mandatory show viewing.