Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ben Meyercord's Live Music Picks for September 19th to 21st

Hello Dear Readers,

By the time you read this I will be gone. On tour. It makes sense that as soon as I am gone there will be an ungodly amount of good shows. Take for example this weekend.

Friday, September 19th

There some good shows and a great one

  • The great show is being held at the Towne Lounge and features Sabertooth, Ritchie Young (of Loch Lomond) and Heather Woods. Sabertooth is a band that will be releasing an album some time this year on Arena Rock Recording Company. I like what I have heard. Loch Lomond is great, but one thing I love about them is their arrangement of instruments and voices. It should be interesting to hear the songs stripped down. Heather Woods aka Heather Broderick is a very talented multi-instrumentalist who often lends her talents to other local bands (including Loch Lomond and Sabertooth). I was not shocking to hear how good her solo music is. And trust me it is good. This show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Artistery is having a good show with Ghosties, Breakfast Mountain, and T.K.Y.K.. I believe that all of these bands are Boy Gorrilla related. In fact This show is the official release for Ghosties new album, "Batches". I have not actually heard Ghosties, but honestly Boy Gorillas track record is so good I don't need to. They don't put out bad records. They are putting out a T.K.Y.K. single soon as well. This ALL AGES show is $6 and starts at 8 PM.

Saturday, September 20th

There are a ridiculous amount of great shows. I glad am gone so that I don't need to make and of the difficult choices you guys will have to make.

  • In the afternoon there is a Bikes-n-BBQ event were Alan Singley and Julia Dawn will be playing music as well. Alan writes quirky and sometimes Burt Baccharac-ian tunes. Julia has one of those kinda sultry voices and makes that kind of jazzy folk music. Ride your bike over there and bring your own fake meat or real meat or whatever you want to grill it will be fun, ALL AGES and FREE. It is to take place from noon to 4 PM at Welshire Park (NE skidmore and NE 33rd).
  • Then you could go over to Doug Fir to see Fir Fest which is an awesome semi-annual FREE. This time around they have Loch Lomond, Bark Hide and Horn, and Y La Bamba. All three of these bands played excellent sets at PDX Pop Now! That was free too. Some times the best things in life are free. This show starts at 5 PM.
  • Later that night at the Doug Fir, King Black Acid, Tango Alpha Tango, and Oh Captain My Captain. King Acid Black has been around for quite some time I have never seen them. I have never heard of Tango Alpa Tango. But I have heard really good things about Oh Captain My Captain. The show is $10 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Wonderball Room is having a great show with Talkdemonic, Doubledutch, and World's Greatest Ghost. Seriously, this is a killer show. Talkdemonic and Doubledutch both recently released new albums and World's Greatest Ghost is going to be recording new material soon. All the new music is really good. you should check out all of these bands music. The ALL AGES show is $10-$12 and starts at 9 PM.
  • Backspace will be having a really good show with Explode into Colors, Magic Johnson, Reporter, and Nurses. I bought a Nurses EP at PDX Pop Now! and have been loving it. I have also heard that the rest of the bands are really fun to see live. Might be worth checking out. The show is ALL AGES, $5, and starts at 8 PM.
  • Exit Only is having a show with Sub Pop's Tiny Vipers (Seattle), and Ah Holly Fam'ly. This should be a really good show of "not so normal but really good" folk music. This show didn't have a listed cover but I am sure it will be cheap. The ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.
  • There is a show at Towne Lounge that I am interested in with Love Menu, Shoeshine Blue, and Audie Darling. I have had the pleasure of playing with all of these bands and found them all to be really good. The all play acoustic based music. The show is $5 and starts at 9 PM.
  • The Coop is also having a good show with Leper (Vancouver , B.C.), Tibetan Beef Garden, White Fang, and Adelit@s. I list this show based on the fact that White Fang is playing. They were one of the highlights of PDX Pop Now! Check it out. There is a $5 cover for the touring bands. This ALL AGES show starts at 8 PM.

Sunday, September 21st

There are a couple things going on Sunday. This is what they are.

  • Valentine's is having a show with White Hinterland, Ohian and Native Kin, and Davis Hooker. I have wanted see White Hinterlind for some time now. I guess I will need to wait a little long. But you don't have to. You can just head to Valentine's at 9 PM for the FREE show.
  • Rontoms is having a show with Iretsu and Hotels, and Brothers Young. I have seen the Brothers Young before and was really impressed. perhaps you could be impressed as well. All you have to do is show up to Rontoms at 9 PM (cause its FREE!).
So those are the shows for this weekend. You will not see me at any of these so you will not be able to say , "Hi". Oh well. I hope you have a great weekend.
-Ben



World's Greatest Ghost will play the Wonder Ballroom on Saturday. They are so good.

photo by Jason Quigley

No comments: